You might have noticed that the Austrian coffee culture differs from the one you know. Please find a short listing of the most common coffee types:
- Grosser Brauner = Big brown coffee: double espresso with milk served in a big cup
- Kleiner Brauner = Small brown coffee: espresso with milk or cream in an espresso cup
- Häferlkaffee = put of coffee: filter coffee served in a mug (not in a cup)
- Melange: half coffee, half milk (foam)
- Verlängerter: small brown coffee or mocca, half coffee, half water
- Verlängerter is sometimes offered with milk, cream or foamed milk
- Café Latte: hot foamed milk with a double espresso
- Latte Macchiato: hot foamed milk with an espresso poured in it
- Espresso: really strong small and black coffee (you can put in sugar)
- Lungo: espresso for whose preparation the double amount of water is used
- Cappucino: 1/3 espresso, 1/3 hot milk and 1/3 foamed milk often topped with cocoa or cinnamon powder
Extra tip: in Carinthia you often get the Cappucino with milk instead of foamed milk; if you prefer milk foam it is advised to tell what exactly you want.
If you want to go for a coffee and/or a nice piece of cake Villach offers some nice possibilities to do so:
Nino's at the Hauptplatz is during summer time a good place to sit outside; while enjoying your coffee you have the possibility to watch the goings and people at the Hauptplatz. During winter time Ninos has a stand with Villachs best Glühwein.
Rathauscafe at the Rathausplatz is a nice café for sitting outside in the sun in the middle of Villach's city center, but also during the rest of the year it is a nice place to go and hang loose.
The café in the Parkhotel offers a unique atmosphere for having a coffee and a nice piece of cake. Inside it is equipped with old-style furniture, and outside it offers a huge garden and terrace to sit at.
The Illy Cafe in the Bahnhofstrasse offers really good coffee, the furniture and atmosphere is more modern-style.
Some more coffee bars to mention:
„Latte" and „Rainer": Oberer Kirchenplatz
Café Herr Vincent, 8. Mai-Platz
Bellini: next to Hauptplatz, also offers small dishes
Koloini (Ossiacher Zeile) offers the traditional tart/gateaux „Villachertorte"
Café Szenario is a non smoking Coffee bar at Völkendorfer Straße 1