School Enrolment 2022/23
Enrolment in primary school
From 5 February to 5 March, the enrolment of pupils for the coming school year will take place in all primary schools in the district of Villach-City.
Every child whose main residence is in Villach and who was born between 2 September 2015 and 1 September 2016 is obliged to attend school.
If you come to Carinthia during the school year please make contact with the school of your choice. For an overview of schools in Carinthia please click here.
The parents or other legal guardians have to present their child in person at the primary school from which they will be invited in writing to the school enrolment and present the following personal documents:
- Birth certificate of the child to be enrolled or, in the case of foreign children, an official identity certificate stating the date of birth beyond doubt.
- In the case of children whose legal guardians are not the parents, proof of legal guardianship (proof of guardianship, proof of adoption, etc.).
- e-card of the child
School change forms
Here you can download the application forms for a change of school for school beginners and for a general change of school (1st - 4th grade, primary or secondary school). Please submit the completed and signed application in person, by post or by e-mail email@example.com to the competent education department, Klagenfurter Straße 66, 9500 Villach.
Transfer to the secondary school or lower level of the grammar school
After finishing primary school, there are various options for the further school attendance of your child. Basically, you can choose between a secondary school or an AHS lower level (Gymnasium). In the Villach City School District there are four middle schools (AHS and NMS curriculum) and two AHS locations.
Applications and deadlines:
- Applications for the secondary schools must be submitted to the respective directorate by 25 February 2022 at the latest. The registration forms are available on the website of the respective middle school.
- Registration for the AHS must take place at the respective grammar schools. The directorates of the AHS decide on admission.
- A double registration for the Gymnasium and for one or more secondary schools is not possible. For further information on school attendance after primary school, please contact the headmasters and headmistresses of the secondary schools or the grammar schools.
School Enrolment 2022/23
For all children living in the city of Klagenfurt am Wörthersee (main residence) who will reach the age of 6 by 1 September 2022, compulsory school attendance will begin with the school year 2022/23.
These children are to be registered in the enrolment period from 5 February to 5 March 2022 by prior appointment (by telephone or e-mail) at the primary school nearest to their place of residence.
Parents/legal guardians are requested to make an enrolment appointment for their child at the nearest primary school. The allocation of individual appointments is intended to prevent larger crowds on site. The children are to be presented personally on the occasion of the enrolment.
- Birth certificate of the child
- National insurance number of the child
- For children whose legal guardians are not the parents, proof of legal guardianship.
- In the case of births before the calculated date of birth, the mother-child passport must be taken along.
Children who are not yet of school age but are ready for school (birth period: 2 September 2016 up to and including 1 March 2017) may also be admitted to the first stage of primary school as of the school year 2022/23 upon application by the legal guardian. In this case, an informal application for early enrolment must be submitted in addition to the documents listed above.
Important: For organisational reasons, registration at VS Welzenegg and VS Dr. Theodor-Körner-Schule is primarily for children who live in the immediate vicinity of the school, as the room capacity for future first classes at these locations is limited.
Further information, also regarding school boundaries etc., can be found at www.pflichtschulen-klagenfurt.at or obtained from the Department of Education / Compulsory Schools by telephone at 0463 / 537-5391.
Registration for kindergartens and after-school care centres 2022/23
17th - 28th January 2022
Monday to Friday: 8.00 - 12.00 and 13.00 - 17.00.
The registration of your child is only possible after making an appointment by telephone at your preferred kindergarten or via the appointment booking site villach.at/termine. The telephone numbers of the educational institutions can be found here: villach.at/kindergaerten or villach.at/horte.
Please respect the safety distances in the buildings and wear FFP2 masks.
Come to the registration with your child and please bring the following documents:
- Mother-child passport,
- your child's national insurance number
- as well as the registration slips (Meldezettel) of the household members.
Registration in the municipal kindergartens and nursery schools for the school year 2022/23 will take place with the child between 21st February and 11th March 2022 daily from 7.30 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. by telephone appointment! All the contact information for nurseries and after-school centres can be found here.
Please bring the registration form of the parents or legal guardians and the children as well as confirmation of employment or confirmation of return to work including details of the working hours. It is possible to visit the kindergarten or after-school care centre of your choice with your child now. Due to the current Covid situation, please make an appointment with the respective management! Please note: There is no booking week at the Haus des Kindes after-school care centre.
If you have specific questions about child education, kindergartens, child care and schools, please contact the CIC. We offer personal counseling and talks on childcare and school selection. Contact number: +43 (0) 664 252 0575 or firstname.lastname@example.org