Coronavirus - COVID-19
Protective measures against the Corona virus
Due to the increasing infection numbers, the Austrian government introduced harsher measures to contain the corona virus. The following measures come into effect on September 14, 2020.
Nose-mouth protection is mandatory:
- in public transport
- in the entire trade sector (including service providers as e.g. hairdressers)
- in the health sector (including pharmacies)
- in administrative agencies
- in museusm, exhibitions, libraries, archives and other leisure facilities
Rules for gastronomy and tourism:
- Eating and drinking is only allowed while seated (there, however, guests are not required to wear masks).
- A distance of at least one meter to other visitor groups must be maintained.
- In lodging establishments, masks are also required in all generally accessible indoor areas.
Rules at school:
- Students and teachers must wear a nose-mouth protection when they are outside the classroom, but inside the school building.
- There is therefore no obligation to wear masks in the schoolyard or inside the classroom.
- Keep distance
- Wash your hands regularly
- Be careful
Implementation of the "Corona-Ampel"
On September 4, 2020, the Austrian government implemented the "Ampelsystem" (traffic light system) - a system for assessing the regional epidemic situation. The system is based on indicators, which among others take into account the number of cases, the ability to reconstruct infection chains as well as the availability of ressources in the health system. The "Ampel" enables politicy makers to initiate targeted action.
Information in English about the latest measurements taken by the Austrian government can be found at
Coronavirus: Facts and security regulations in 16 languages:
Please stay updated with the latest news regarding this situation by reading, watching or listening:
orf.at/corona/stories/3158537/ (English, Türkçe und Bosanski-Hrvatski-Srpski)
ZIB 100 (German)
FM4 (some English radio programs)
Information and guidance (travel advice, how to protect yourself, situation reports, etc.) from the World Health Organisation:
Travel warnings and further information from the Federal Ministry for European and International Affairs:
Further Link for travel:
Information sheet (Land Kärnten):
PDF Information sheet for people entering this country from areas at risk (English)
A simple explanation of the Coronavirus for children
To watch the video, just click here!
A curious guide for courageous kids
The guide is available in lots of languages including English here.
A British article about guarding mental health during the COVID-19 pandemic
Please click here to find out more.