Social & Health insurance

All about Healthcare in Carinthia

Everybody who lives and works in Austria has to pay health insurance, which is part of the country's social security system. This covers basic medical services and visits to the dentist, as well as hospitalisation and medicine. It is also possible to include non-working relatives and children in your health insurance. The doctors you may consult depend on your health insurance. In case you are insured via the public health authority Österreichischen Gesundheitskasse (ÖGK) you may consult doctors that are registered with the ÖGK for free. You will need to bring your E-card for every visit. It is also possible to get private medical care (Wahlarzt).

The E-card

The E-card is a smart card which in the first step substitutes all health insurance vouchers without payment in cash. E-card covers the following: illness, disability or inability to work, maternity, unemployment, old age, death of the main wage-earner, surviving dependants and maintenance and social care.

The contributions paid by employees are deducted every month from their gross salary and paid by the employer. People making voluntary contributions and self-employed people pay their contributions themselves and must ensure that they register with the appropriate insurance company.

The name, title and national insurance number of the cardholder as well as the card sequence number are printed on the front of the E-card. In addition, the number of the E-card service line (050 124 3311) and the telephone health advice service is printed on the card surface. In order to use the EKVK abroad, the data fields on the back of the E-card must be filled in completely. If the data fields are filled in with asterisks, it is not valid as proof of entitlement. 

For more information about the e-card, an overview of your health insurance rights and other details, please visit: 

Co-insurance of family members

If you do not have statutory health insurance yourself, you can be insured with your partner. This is possible if you are married or have a registered partnership. It is also possible if you live together and meet certain requirements. Sometimes you have to pay a contribution for this co-insurance.


  • the person to be co-insured has his or her habitual residence in the country
  • the person who is co-insured does not have statutory health insurance and no grounds for exclusion apply. 
  • marriage and registered partnership
  • a legally recognised marriage or registered partnership

If you live together without being married or having a registered partnership:

  • the two persons must live in the same household for at least ten months
  • the household must be unpaid. This means that one person may not be paid to take care of the household
  • no able-bodied spouse or registered partner may live there

Social insurance

Social insurance, with its emphasis on solidarity, is an important component in holding society together in the welfare state of Austria.

Social insurance applies to:

  • almost all non-self-employed workers
  • most self-employed persons
  • persons claiming unemployment benefits
  • those receiving a pension and dependants of all the specified groups.

Social insurance registration in Austria

The registration to the responsible social insurance authority is performed by the employer for non-self-employed workers. The employer also takes care of the monthly payment of mandatory contributions, which include contributions from both employer and employee. The latter are deducted directly from the gross salary and indicated on the pay slip.


The Pension Insurance Institution (PVA) is responsible for determining the pension entitlement and for calculation and payment of the pension is determined based on the pension insurance (ASVG, GSVG, BSVG).

The purpose of pension insurance is to provide financial security for the insured person and his/her dependents by means of pension benefits in old age or after retirement from working life due to illness.

The pension benefit is intended to approximately replace the income from gainful employment that is lost due to retirement and thus ensure the livelihood of the pensioner.