EU/EEA citizens and Swiss citizens

EU/EEA citizens and Swiss citizens are able to move freely within the EU to travel, work and live in any of the member states without too many steps. With a valid visa, third-country nationals can stay for up to six months. When it comes to acquiring work and residence permits, your path will depend on your nationality, financial status, intended purpose or relation to someone already residing in Austria. But there are some things all potential residents must provide during the application process.

EU citizens

do not need a visa and have the right to reside in Austria for a period of three months. This right exists regardless of any economic activity.

Under EU law, EU citizens have the right to reside in Austria for more than three months if:

  • they are employees or self‑employed workers in Austria;
  • they have sufficient resources and comprehensive sickness insurance cover for themselves and their family members not to need to claim social assistance or compensatory allowances during their stay;
  • the principal aim of their stay is to obtain a qualification, including a professional qualification, from a state school or legally recognised private school or educational establishment and they have sufficient sickness insurance cover and sufficient resources for themselves and their family members.

Certificate of Residence

EU citizens who, under EU law, have the right to reside in Austria for more than three months are required to notify the settlement authority if they remain in Austria for longer than three months. As evidence of your right of residence under EU law, you will receive a registration certificate upon request. This request must be made within four months of arriving in Austria. After five years’ of legal and continuous residence in Austria, you will receive a certificate of permanent residence upon request. You can also apply for the issue of a photo ID card for EEA citizens (which also serves as an identity document).


Address Registration

All persons who take up accommodation in Austria are required to register with the authorities in accordance with the Austrian Registration Act (Meldegesetz). Anyone who takes up or leaves accommodation in Austria is therefore required to register and de‑register with the competent registration authority.

For EU citizens with a right of residence under EU law who already settled legally in Austria prior to 1 January 2006 and registered in accordance with the Austrian Registration Act, the valid registration is regarded as the registration certificate.